Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 9 - The Perfect Day

DISCLAIMER - This post is going to be a selfish Daddy post!  You've been warned....


As a parent, there are many days that seem to blur together for me through the course of the year.  While I try my best to enjoy each day, and enjoy the doing more than the getting it done, sometimes life just gets in the way of me spending quality time with Erin.

But, then there are some days, just a select few, that you remember forever.  The days you look back to as you watch your child grow, and wish you could have them that age again, just one more time.  And...even though Erin is only 7, I know today will be one of those days.

It started off simply enough.  As always, Erin got me up at the crack of dawn.  We had breakfast, and decided to go on a hike.  Point Mugu State Park had been damaged by fire not long ago, so I didn't know what shape the trails were in.

Now one thing you need to know about Erin is that she loves to climb.  She always has, so just walking on a trail is ok, but she likes to climb some pretty challenging trails.  We got about .5 miles into the hike, when we saw a small trail heading straight up the mountain.  While it was steep, it didn't look dangerous, so I decided we would give it a try.

You can see the campground in this picture.  This was about the point we headed straight up.

The climb was tough, but Erin did great.  We didn't give any thought to what we would see at the top, but, we found this...


Needless to say, her reaction was very something I'll never forget.  Here are a few more pics.

We hiked along the ridge for a while, then headed back to camp.  Jen was up, so we packed up and headed out.  Jen suggested we head back down to the Santa Monica Pier.  We didn't tell Erin, so you can imagine her excitement when she saw it, and figured out that was where we were going!


It was a beautiful summer day, and we were all having a great time.  Then, after about 30 minutes of riding roller coasters, Erin looked at me and asked if she could ride alone.  I smiled and said yes.  The park was small enough I could easily keep an eye on her.  But, I knew right then I was on borrowed time.  I spent the rest of the day trying to take in every smile, every skip, every laugh.  We even talked Mommy into a little extra time, even though she was getting tired.  

But Mommy saw it too.  Saw a little girl growing up, even if just a little bit, in one simple question. 


Some rides she wanted me there.  Some rides she did alone, with friends she made at the park.  We laughed and played.  All three of us had a great day.  

 
We left as the sun went down, and found a nice little park in Malibu Beach.  Tomorrow we head to Santa Barbara to stay a few days with Jen's great Aunt.  I'm sure we will have a wonderful time.

Erin was asleep by the time we got to the park.  

She was back to being Daddy's little girl...for now.  It was the end to a perfect day.  A day I will never forget.  

Borrowed Time.

3 comments:

  1. Greg, that was a wonderful story and pic of the two of you. Erin will always be Daddy's little girl, even if she is not little. Alli and Jim are still super close and relish those days spent together camping during her grade school days. Be assured that it is your great parenting that has her wanting to test her wings a little. Blessings to your family,

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, what a great story. I always knew that little girl of yours would become a very independent and strong girl, teenager, & woman someday - I knew it from the moment she walked into my kindergarten room. She is only 7, but she will always be "daddy's little girl!" As I've told Jen hundreds of times, she's a little spitfire and will do amazing things in her life! What memories you and Jen have given her in her short life!!!!! I hope Jen is recovering, and that the kidney stones don't cut your trip short! Give Erin a big hug from me, and tell Jen we'll have one more girl's day before school starts once you guys get back! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg, you should write this is amazing. I am in tears.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete